Friday, August 6, 2010

A&I 1 : Never make anyone feel small

Foreword : A&I stands for 'Aspire And Inspire', a series of articles on the topic I love the most : Observations and Predicting Reactions.
I'd try to pile up articles based on my personal learning and understanding.

Oliver Wendell Holmes once attended a meeting in which he was the shortest man present. "Dr. Holmes," quipped a friend, "I should think you'd feel rather small among us big fellows." "I do," retorted Holmes, "I feel like a dime among a lot of pennies."
Do you think Holmes was really impressed with the concern the fellowman showed for his height? And do you think the fellowman would have not felt offended when Mr. Holmes charged against him and had his mouth shut?

Make anyone feel small and I bet you have hurt his self-esteem. If you have money and show it off in public, be sure that someone would plan to rob you out. If you have degrees and try to boast off in public, be sure that someone would pledge to buy you out. For one thing is certain, everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, is interested in his/ her own life. I, you, we are least bothered about other person's life. A sleepless night would mean more to you than thousands of sleepless people due to a thunderstorm in some African region. That's the truth! None is interested in how much rich you are unless you prove to be a potential asset for them. All your boasting of richness are doing nothing more than making me feel small and weak in front of you. Consequently, I'd lose respect for you.
Let me describe one of my personal experiences.
I was in my home preparing some tea for one of the uncles who had shown up all of a sudden. The uncle after having praised me for my education and summer project began a discussion, supposedly to show his own knowledge. While I was busy adding some sugar and tea leaves to the hot vessel, he was busy asking me about the position holders in m.p. state government system. He told about how certain roads were built by person X. And then he asked me, do I know who person X is? Clearly, I didn't and he did. And then he'd continue how I am unaware of this current situation (as if it was more necessary than air I was breathing) and told me what position that person X held in mp. state council. Then he began a discussion on some another person Y and again questioned me about whether I knew who person Y was? Eventually, he'd reveal the life saving secrets to me one by one about the MP State Council members.

Alright, now let's analyze all this. Do you really think, it'd have made me happy to learn about the members of MP State Council after each realization of how 'unaware' I was! Absolutely not! In fact I don't even remember the names of those candidates today. And do you think I'd really praise him for his awareness and knowledge when I'd talk about him to my parents or friends? :P
That's it! Make anyone feel small and you have done the greatest crime you could mentally do to any person.

I might sound a preacher, but I hope it helps you that when next time you're in front of any person, don't try to make anyone feel small. :)

5 comments:

KP said...

Nice observation!! But here I want to make a statement of my own. How do you know that the other person is being sarcastic or being concerned? How do you know that your uncle actually was not trying to get you acquainted with the powerful people of the area? Maybe he saw in you the potential to change the society and wanted you to know people who can help you.
And the most necessary question- Where does the boundary begins when you are trying to give an example to improve someone from your life and when you are boasting?

Do you think that Steve Jobs was boasting in his Stanford speech. Yes, he was. And he was also giving examples. There is a fine line between the two.

Rajeev said...

nice point...cudnt have thght in that direction otherwise..
well, yes u r write..i guess there is a fine line...but let's try to decode it even finer...
consider two things :
1) situation
2) person

when u have invited someone for a commencement speech, u sure are there to hear what he is to offer..
i dnt blv that's the boasting i am talking abt..
the boasting i am talking about is when a person knows that the opposite one doesn't know of a particular thing and then he will try to show off...
the most common example i cud think is like ppl showing off their vocab, when they intentionally speak 'uncatchable' words before the other person with no intention of improvement..
that's one way to satisfy his pride by showing (publicly) superiority in one thing or other..

Andy said...

^^ second that!!

but just one addition...
making a person feel small just makes his stature seem small; drown him in flattery and you'll be chopping the legs of his ambition..
I'd rather be humiliated than honoured

Unknown said...

Rajeev,

the whole blog seems to have pearls of wisdom. It is a lovely ode to youthful student life. I like the naivete in some of the posts but I guess it is part of the rose tinted spectacle vision of life. I think as a starters kit to the successful.
Bubbles and cheers to your blog.

Neha

Unknown said...

P.S The comment before this has nothing relevant to the argument above. I was just proposing a toast to Rajeev and his blog.

Neha